Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Surgery successful, but not out of the rough seas yet

At 11.45am, the Cardiac ICU (CICU) SRN called I and mother in. They just wheeled him from the OT and the surgeon, Tan Sri Mr. Yahya Awang was there in his OT ware, just as he promised. He smiled when he saw us and without him uttering the first words, I already felt relieved.
Left: Tan Sri Mr. Yahya briefed us on the surgery

He then explained that "Everything went well, nothing happened which is unexpected. He is doing just fine. Don't worry". Honestly, I wasn't. I had complete faith in Tan Sri Mr. Yahya and his team. The surgery was successful.
Right: Tan Sri Mr. Yahya and Dato' Dr. Kathiresan reviewing his vitals

Moments later, he left and few short minutes later, Dato' Dr. V. Kathiresan, the anesthetists appeared, in his 'blues'. He irked a grin a well. He is now in charge of getting my father revived and out-of-the-stormy-weather. He patiently explained the function of every single apparatus that was attached to my father, to help him revive. He is confident that Abah is able to be breathing on his own, by night time.
Left: Dato' Dr. Kathiresan ordering some drugs

My mother left the CICU shortly and I stayed on. I saw my father twitched and frowned. I called to him and his facial expression shows he was in discomfort. Dato' Dr. Kathiresan then instructed that sedative be given to calm him down and let him recuperate faster, in sleeping mode. At this point of time, Dato' Dr. Kathiresan said he was conscious and aware of the environment, which was good sign. He responded to me when I talked to him. He even gently squeezed my palm and blinked his eyes, in response.
Right: More painkillers injected, on top of the morphine

I was much relieved. Now is to give it sometime before he is allowed to wake up and breathe on his own without the ventilator. Every single person concerned with his surgery was informed (as far as I could) and without any doubt, all are relieved.
Left: In deep sleep, 30 mins post surgery

An Uncle who is working in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and a cousin who is now a resident of Brunei called. That was good.

Later, my wife and missus popped by on my father. Like me too, it was new experience for them! (I think Aishah was 'traumatised' with the sight of Atuk in this condition. The worry is very apparent on the girl)
Right: My wife and daughter first sight of him, post surgery

My brother, who is starting to develop cold, was very careful when he was with our father. Later in the evening, Dato' Dr. V. Kathiresan reviewed my father's progress again. He is 'bleeding' slightly more than he should. I explained that my father was on blood thinner cardioprin for years and he was off that only a few days before the surgery.
Left: Stroking Abah on the head
The anaethethist said that could be why he is experiencing this slight 'haemorage'. He prescribed some platelets for be transfused, so that the situation can be corrected. Because of that, he kept my father on the ventilator for a little longer and also being sedated. He promised to review the case first thing in the morning.


Salahuddin said...


Wish him a good recovery.

Kata Tak Nak said...

Alhamdulillah, Praise be to ALLAH.
My family and I pray that your father has a speedy recovery.

Raden Galoh said...

Alhamdulillah prayers for your dad's speedy recovery...

you take care too

Zakhir's Zoo said...

Salahuddin, Cikgu Nazir and Dee,

Thanks for the support and kind words. I really appreciate it.

Allah shall bless and help us all.

galadriel said...

I didn't know. Hope he's fine now biggie. howpe u are too.

Zakhir's Zoo said...


Thanks. Yes, he is getting better by the day. I am a bit exhausted but all worth it, to see my father better.

Mior Azhar said...

Saudara Zakhir,
My doa to your father. Insya Allah he will up and running in no time!