Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A full day of physiotherapy but later has to be readmitted back into CICU

The day started with cardiologist Dr. Daud making his rounds at a little past 9.00am. All was well, except for the intense coughing and phlegm. So he ordered my father's combivent inhalation to be increased to 6 hourly and his physiotherapy and exercises will start twice daily, from today. That is supposed to help him recuperate.

At quarter past ten, the Rehabilitation orderly came to pick him up. I and Aishah accompanied him down to the ground floor. She was a reliable eleven year old Cucu Pertama to Atuk. She carried downstairs a box of tissue paper and his breathing exercise apparatus for him.

First it was the hand exercises. Abah did this without any pain on his chest.

Then he was made to do the 'bicycle'. Note that he has the sphygmomanometer (what a mouthful word!) cuff on his left arm. The UiTM trained physiotherapist was very careful to check his pulse and bloodpressure each time before and after an activity is carried out, on top of his continuous oxygen inhalation throughout.

Later, she made him stroll up and down the Rehab'. Aishah walked with him as someone needs to 'walk' the oxygen tank. Dr. Daud insisted that my father gets oxygen where ever and whatever he does, to ensure full recuperation.

She skipped the steps and to end the session, he made Abah breathe through the heated mentholated inhalation. I know this was not a pleasant thing to do, but it was necessary to help him breathe and excrete the phlegm in the lungs.

The moment he reached the suite, he had some sleep. Later, his lawyer and neighbour Rajes Patel dropped by. They chatted for a bit, although my father no longer have a voice, because of the excessive coughing. His partner Jamalul Hisham called me from the office slightly earlier before Rajes came.

Tan Sri Mr. Yahya Awang dropped by to see his patient, in the middle of this chit-chat. He was told about the achievements in the Rehab earlier and was happy with the progress. He came in the afternoon, after completed another coronary by-pass case.

At quarter past seven, Dr. Daud did his second round for the day. The issue at hand is still about his coughing. He explained that it was necessary that my father cough and sit the phlegm out, to get better. He also said that the oedema on the left lung is getting better.

I walked Dr. Daud out. In the corridor, I was talking to him of his fatigueness and much less energetic, as compared to when he first discharged from the CICU. He explained that the cough drained the 'energy' out of him and of course, I caused a lot of pain and discomfort.

In the middle of this conversation, my brother rushed to us and said "Doctor, my father's chest started to bleed!" and we followed him towards my father. There he was, coughing while some blood oozed from a gash opening in the middle of the chest. Dr. Daud picked a few sheets of tissue paper and presses on the gash while the SRN was being called. Soon, the gash was dressed with sterile gauges and more SRNs appeared, including the Sister-in-charge of the A & E department and OT.

Tan Sri Mr. Yahya was called and Dr. Daud personally spoke to him. In minutes, Tan Sri Mr. Yahya appeared and checked on his patient. The dressing was good but he asked the Sister to get a 'corset' to bound my father's upper torso, so that when coughed, the movement and friction between the ribs and wounded area is very much lessen. He also ordered my father to be transfered back to CICU for close monitoring.

Shows clearly Tan Sri Mr. Yahya did not want to take any chances. Whilst in CICU, he ordered a chest x-ray be shot. Later, Dr. Daud reviewed the x-ray and ordered an echo cardiogram machine to be brought up from the Diagnostics. He performed the echo test on the heart and found it to be a good condition. There was no evidence of fluid build up around the heart. He immediately called Tan Sri Mr. Yahya on the phone and more painkillers will be given, to help my father rest.

My wife, who arrived from work late as she had classes to do and some of the important ones last week, prepared his dinner to be brought into the CICU and my mother fed him at about 9.30pm, since he had not had anything to eat since lunch. He had a few spoonfuls and lost his appetite. Instead, I asked the SRNs in the CICU to make him some hot milo, incase he will get hungry.

We left him at 10.15pm and I left the hospital for home at 10.30pm. I have another problem at home; the alarm on my parent's side cannot be activated. Later I learnt the dedicated Dr. Daud only arrived at home close to midnight and assured me that my father is alright.

My faith on the professionalism of the surgeons, anaesthethists, physicians and other healthcare personnel which include OT and CICU technicians, nurses and physiotherapists at Damansara Specialists Hospital is very much at its peak.


CresceNet said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

fazilogic said...

Not many people would like to share their private moments especially in cases like this (discomforting experience).

And having said that, I would like to express my thanks to your father and his family for the willingness to share.

This will in many ways come in handy for me and other readers who one day might encounter it ourselves or with our loved ones.

Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to getting more information about this topic, don't worry about negative opinions.