Thursday, October 18, 2007

Playing host for Hari Raya Aidil Fitri visitations

Hari Raya Aidil Fitri for us the Malays, is a time where social visits are made, annually. Even when most of us city dwellers are too busy with our everyday lives, Hari Raya Aidil Fitri is where we make it a point to visit our relations, especially the elder ones.

That is why most of us go back to our kampungs for Hari Raya Aidil Fitri. In my family, my father is the only surviving uncle left to his nephews and nieces. So Hari Raya Aidil Fitri is where all these cousins would come over and visit my old man.






Since many are still on Hari Raya Aidil Fitri holiday and mood, some of my cousins took the opportunity to come and visit. So last night, we hosted a few families who came over for dinner.

I took a lot of pot shots to my only unmarried cousin, Nazree, who had turned thirty one last August. Its sweeter to tease him infront of his girlfriend, Nadene.

We always take this sort of opportunity to catch up on updates and gossip between cousins. Of course, there will be some teasing, just to add a little fun to it.




To add a little pressure, we told Nazree that some of our elder cousins even have grandchildren of their own already!

I and Nazree have gone a long way back together. When our families took a holiday to Los Angeles in December 1984, he was only eight years old then. So his mother (my father's youngest sister), put me in charge of him. Every time we go a theme park somewhere, there will be rides which he can't go on, simply because he was not tall enough.




So, in consolation, I would take him on all the 'kiddie rides' (and naturally boring ones!), such as the Alice-in-the-Wonderland caterpillar, Its-a-small-world, Autopia, Dumbo rides in Disneyland Park and dungy-smelling stage coach ride at Knotts Berry Farm, since he can't be allowed on the more interesting rides such as the Space-Mountain or Cork-Screw.

No comments: